Art By Ree

Art by Ree Bachmeier, specializing in quality art since 1982.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hermosa, South Dakota, United States

Daily Paintings and thoughts that have very little consequence in life.
Contact Me

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In The Outfield

"In The Outfield" Penguin and Baseball Original Painting. Acrylic on 140 lb. Canson paper. Framed under glass.
Click Here To Purchase

This little penguin has confused a baseball for an egg. Or perhaps he is just a great outfielder?

I'm not sure where I get my ideas for Penguin paintings. They haunt me, I see a landscape, and I visualize a penguin standing there. Not sure why.

In 1998 I started painting penguins. For the next several years, that is about all I painted. But they were not the usual penguins in a stark, barren South Pole landscape. My penguins liked to travel, they could be found on a foggy London street, visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or just hanging out in front of the TV.

I received several commission pieces in 2001, and was shocked when the buyers didn't want a penguin standing next to their favorite pet/landscape/portrait-of-granny. So I drifted away from the penguins. I abandoned them. I feel so ashamed.

And now, 2006 they have returned to my easel. I am again seeing them everywhere I look. Sitting on a bench at a bus-stop, taking a stroll down a country lane, waiting in queue at the 7-11.

Welcome back, penguins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home